Saturday, November 3, 2007

SEX SELLS...but for what price?

While reading chapter three over sex in music videos, I had a thought. If I were Britney Spears, I'd probably end up shaving my head, drinking out of control, and running over pedestrian feet as well. In the section, Sexuality as Fantasy Fulfillment, it talks about one video in particular, Spear's "Toxic".

She plays three different roles in this video, or rather represents three different sexual fantasies. I started thinking that this poor girl has been nothing but a product her entire life. I know...I know, she chose this lifestyle and so her becoming a public product is the consequence. But, I just might think she has experienced it to a greater extent than anyone else. Management, PR, fans, sales, all pushing her to fulfill a "standard" and constantly changing her image to overcome competition. That "standard" is always changing and so shall she.

I think the "Toxic" video HIGHLY exemplifies the media's effort to sell EVERY possible aspect of the object (Britney). That lifestyle, of always having to sell, sell, sell in order to be accepted, would screw anyone up. Hey, don't get me wrong, I'm not a Britney advocate or anything, honestly, I think her music should be flushed down the shitter. I'm just saying...hell, I'd probably go get lit, flash the town and shave my head as well. Media has gained her mass popularity, success, fortune, but it has also hindered her from creating her own identity. I don't think she has one clue to who the hell she really is. It's kinda sad. But hey, SHE'S RICH!

No comments: